Bookmark and Share Motorcycles    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Life of Debauchery .com > Debate

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

Motorcycles

People feel almost as strongly about brand and type of motorcycle as they do politics and religion.

I do not suffer from that particular ailment, so that leads to the dilemma I currently have.

I own a Suzuki C50, a nice entry level cruiser type. I have been looking to upscale, for longer rides, more comfort, and more utility. Last fall I discovered the Yamaha Stratoliner model---I like the 50's styling and chrome packages. Also, the 1900cc engine is nice. But this week, after finding not one, but three local Stratoliners in my price range, I also found a Suzuki C109r, already tricked out with speakers, highway bars and a motivated seller that is making payments on a 2013 Harley.

So I am sitting in front of my computer, slightly drunk, and I find a 20 year old Electra Glide in my price range, in what appears to be a metallic flake British racing green color.

The wife does not dig tour bikes, she only likes cruisers---She really liked the C109, I liked the Stratoliners. I have one more Strat to look at after work one day this week and decide if it is where I want to go, or I can go look at the first Strat, and the Electra Glide, because they are both at the same dealer.
Anybody with input

Experience? The Electra Glide is a 97, so it would be the only carbureted option. The others are fuel injected. I love the injected bike, there is no choke, and it always starts, regardless the temperature outside, or how long I have ridden it.

I am losing coherence, so I am ending this post by saying Fuck Hillary, Fuck Trump and fuck four wheelers. laugh.gif

Post 02/26/17 05:27pm
 View users profile Send private message

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

Electra Glide is nice, but at 20 years old you're probably better off with the newer bikes as far as reliability goes.

I have a 2000 Road King, and have kept it meticulously maintained, but that is a rarity as I'm pretty fanatical about this stuff. When I bought the new bike last year, I noticed the huge difference in technology and ride. You simply can't compare the old bikes to the new ones for ride and tech....

Post 02/27/17 09:09am

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

I would have to think long and hard to go back to a carbureted engine, plus, I found the exact model I wanted, brand new old stock. The 2014 Suzuki C90 BOSS. There are six sitting in a showroom an hour away. The big sale ended last night, but I am certain they will have another to get rid of stuff. The only danger is they are also an Indian dealer, and the Springfield looks amazing.
Post 03/01/17 05:08am

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

quote:
Originally posted by bloodpuppet
I would have to think long and hard to go back to a carbureted engine, plus, I found the exact model I wanted, brand new old stock. The 2014 Suzuki C90 BOSS. There are six sitting in a showroom an hour away. The big sale ended last night, but I am certain they will have another to get rid of stuff. The only danger is they are also an Indian dealer, and the Springfield looks amazing.

Yeah stay away from the Indians though - same money as HD without the support or track record.

As for the sale - if you go in there today with money, those sales bitches will honor whatever deal they had yesterday grin.gif

Post 03/01/17 09:38am

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

Checked out the C90's on Saturday, they did not hold the wow factor for me this time. Poor dealership staff, very unfriendly and unhelpful. Test rode a Yamaha VStar Deluxe 1300 yesterday---Got estimates on trade in value of my current bike, did a 70 mile round trip ride in 40 degree drizzle to do so, and decided I am probably getting a Strat. But the Deluxe looks cool as shit.
Post 03/07/17 06:04am

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

quote:
Originally posted by bloodpuppet
Checked out the C90's on Saturday, they did not hold the wow factor for me this time. Poor dealership staff, very unfriendly and unhelpful. Test rode a Yamaha VStar Deluxe 1300 yesterday---Got estimates on trade in value of my current bike, did a 70 mile round trip ride in 40 degree drizzle to do so, and decided I am probably getting a Strat. But the Deluxe looks cool as shit.

I think they both look great. And I agree on the C90 - shit, I'd rather see you get an old Fat Boy from HD than the C90

Now, I thought mine was as ugly as sin when I first saw it, but goddamn the ride and handling is like nothing I have ever seen in a big touring bike - hell it handles better than my softail.

Post 03/07/17 09:15am

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

VStar
Post 03/07/17 05:16pm

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

Stratoliner
Post 03/07/17 05:18pm

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

I like the Srat
Post 03/07/17 05:56pm

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

quote:
Originally posted by AWM
I like the Srat

Yeah, the engine sort of puts me in mind of old style Harleys---But more reliable and less leaky.

But that lowered VStar looks so much better in person than the picture---Plus I have a shitload of LEDs that I never got around to putting on my Boulevard over the winter. Blue LEDs.

BTW this is what I am may be trading in.....

Post 03/07/17 07:11pm

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

That was before the studded Mustang seats and back rest. laugh.gif
Post 03/07/17 07:12pm

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

If I could get the wife to learn to ride one of her own, I would seriously consider sticking to the Bully. I forgot how much fun that little thing was to ride solo. Even in near freezing drizzle, I was loving the ride.
Post 03/07/17 07:16pm

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

I only had audio - could not see video
Post 03/07/17 07:36pm

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

Didn't sound bad for a metric--- laugh.gif
Post 03/08/17 05:28am

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

I couldn't stop looking. Goddamnit.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Yamaha-STRATOLINER-S-121163339

Driving two hours to look at a motorcycle---In sub freezing temperatures. Why can't I be satisfied with the one I am looking at that is half the price, after I trade mine in? Of course if I get close to book value on mine, this one will only be 7,000---And that makes it almost impossible to pass up.

Post 03/10/17 04:28pm

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

Left a deposit on the blue beast. The only thing I can think I might want to add is a stereo, and some accent LEDs underneath.

Now I have to negotiate with my bank laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Post 03/11/17 05:44pm

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

BUY IT!

Only live once

Post 03/11/17 07:18pm

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

BUY IT!

Only live once

Post 03/11/17 07:21pm

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

quote:
Originally posted by AWM
BUY IT!

Only live once

Since the weather is not cooperating, I am making arrangements for a trailer to get it home, next Saturday. I would have loved a 100 plus mile test ride, but snow on the ground and possible precipitation, with temps projected to be in the low 40's---I am not that hardcore a biker anymore. laugh.gif

I am hoping my son-in-law's trailer is free, or he knows someone with one---He only works at a Harley dealer. laugh.gif

Post 03/12/17 08:55am

bloodpuppet
No Salvation
No Salvation

I posted this on the C 50 forum I belong to. I liked it so much, I am posting it here too, and including the picture even though I am in it.

The lust for a Stratoliner has reached an end. A good end. I found one over a hundred miles away, on CycleTrader. I had been looking for a few weeks, and they seemed rather hard to find, and if they were local, they were either ridiculously priced, or had scary mileage, or one, at a dealership, that had obviously been wrecked.

I was leaning towards a VStar Deluxe we had both liked, although she liked the showroom tour VStar better. The plan, this past Friday evening, was to take the two VStars and a local Strat for a final ride and make a decision, but I sat down and did another CycleTrader search. After pages of VStars, and C model Suzukis, it appeared. A beautiful blue vision, with all the accessories I would probably add---Crash bars with highway pegs, passenger floor boards, a Mustang seat for both, with backrests, for both, a luggage rack, chrome guards around the saddle bags. It was like a scene in a bad movie where the boy sees the girl, and she is lit up like magic.

So I send an email. Three hours later my phone rings, we set up a meeting the next day. After a two and a half hour drive, we pull into the driveway and even in the murky garage where she sat, she still glowed. I piled out of the car, and walked into the garage, just staring at this vision of beauty. The owner smiled, shook my hand, and said "Yeah, that's kind of how I looked at her when I first saw her". We discussed this bike, other bikes, life's uncertainties (which is why he was selling), and most importantly, dogs. Two hours later, and a deposit large enough to prove I was a serious buyer, we headed for home. Next weekend, she will be nestled in her new home, learning her new surroundings, probably with me sitting in the old chair that sits in the garage, just staring.

Post 03/13/17 05:51pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Life of Debauchery .com > Debate Post new topic Reply to topic