Bookmark and Share Aaron Hernandez Hanged Himself in Prison, Officials Say    
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Life of Debauchery .com > Filthy Fucken Animals

elemental
No Salvation
No Salvation

Aaron Hernandez Hanged Himself in Prison, Officials Say

Aaron Hernandez, the former star tight end with the New England Patriots who was convicted of first-degree murder in 2015, hanged himself in prison on Wednesday, the authorities said.

He was discovered in his cell by corrections officers at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass., around 3 a.m., the Massachusetts Department of Correction said in a statement.

Lifesaving techniques were attempted, and he was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 a.m., the department said.

“Mr. Hernandez hanged himself using a bedsheet that he attached to his cell window,” the statement said. “Mr. Hernandez also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming the door with various items.”

Mr. Hernandez was housed in a single cell in the general prison population, the statement said. The assistant deputy commissioner of communications, Christopher Fallon, told The Associated Press that officials had not been concerned that Mr. Hernandez was a suicide risk. He also said no suicide note had been found. The case will be investigated by the state police.

Mr. Hernandez’s suicide came on the day some of his former teammates would be visiting the White House to celebrate their recent Super Bowl victory.

Mr. Hernandez, 27, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of Odin L. Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Mr. Hernandez’s fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins. He had appealed the verdict.

The body of Mr. Lloyd, a 27-year-old semiprofessional football player, was found, shot six times, in June 2013 in a pit at an industrial park near Mr. Hernandez’s home in North Attleboro, Mass. Mr. Hernandez’s motive in that case, prosecutors said, was that Mr. Lloyd spoke with people Mr. Hernandez did not like at a bar in Boston.

Mr. Hernandez was found not guilty just last Friday in a second murder case, a drive-by shooting of two people in Boston in 2012.

Mr. Hernandez was born on Nov. 6, 1989, and grew up in a tough neighborhood in Bristol, Conn., and played at the University of Florida, where he was chosen the country’s best tight end. He also ran into trouble there, getting into a bar fight and testing positive for marijuana.

He was a fourth-round N.F.L. draft pick by the Patriots, after many teams passed on him, leery of his reputation.

Teamed with another star, Rob Gronkowski, Mr. Hernandez gave the Patriots a tight end combo that was second to none. He played three years in the N.F.L., catching 175 passes for 18 touchdowns. He played in one Super Bowl, in 2012, catching a team-high eight passes in a 21-17 loss to the Giants. He signed a $40 million contract extension in 2012 to continue playing for the Patriots.

In 2013, Mr. Hernandez and Mr. Lloyd began dating sisters, and the two men socialized together. In June 2013, at a Boston nightclub, Mr. Hernandez became angry with people Mr. Lloyd was talking with. Investigators said that Mr. Hernandez might have suspected that Mr. Lloyd was talking with them about the double murder case that Mr. Hernandez was eventually acquitted of.

Though no murder weapon was found, and no witness to the shooting of Mr. Lloyd came forward, prosecutors built a circumstantial case tying Mr. Hernandez to the killing.

Mr. Hernandez’s fiancée, Ms. Jenkins, spoke of a box that she said Mr. Hernandez instructed her to remove from their house and discard the day after Mr. Lloyd’s body was found. She also said Mr. Hernandez called her from the police station and asked her to give some money to Ernest Wallace, a friend who would eventually also be charged in the killing.

It was enough for the jury, which deliberated for six days before finding Mr. Hernandez guilty.

Mr. Hernandez’s death means his murder conviction will be vacated under a centuries-old legal doctrine enshrined in Massachusetts’ criminal case law.

“Aaron Hernandez goes to his death an innocent man under the eyes of the law,” said Martin W. Healy, chief legal counsel for the Massachusetts Bar Association, adding, “It’s as if the case never existed.”

Under the doctrine, known as “abatement ab initio,” criminal convictions are essentially nullified if a person dies before they have a chance to complete the process of appealing it, Mr. Healy said. ”The principal behind this legal doctrine is, the individual has not had the ability to clear their name,” he said.

The little-known doctrine has erased several well-known criminal convictions over the years. When Kenneth L. Lay, the chief executive of Enron, died of a heart attack in 2006 before his sentencing for fraud, the doctrine erased his criminal record and meant the government lost access to $44 million he was supposed to forfeit for restitution.

Mr. Hernandez had a daughter with Ms. Jenkins, Avielle, now 4. He has an older brother, D.J.

The Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center, where Mr. Hernandez was an inmate, is a maximum-security prison that has reported a number of problems since it opened in 1998.

It is the prison where John J. Geoghan, a Catholic priest accused of molesting scores of children, was strangled by another inmate in 2003. In January, nearly 50 prisoners were involved in a violent disturbance, damaging sprinklers and computer systems, before prison officials regained control.

“It is a troubled prison we’re very concerned about,” said Leslie Walker, the executive director of Prisoners’ Legal Services of Massachusetts.

Ms. Walker said it was “hard to tell” whether Mr. Hernandez should have been on a suicide watch. “Five days after a series of acquittals, I don’t think many people would be as concerned about his mental health as they might have been, say, during the trial,” Ms. Walker said.

A member of the Patriots’ public relations department, who declined to give her name, said most of the staff was out of the office for the team’s visit to the White House. “We are aware of the reports,” she said, “but I don’t anticipate that there will be a comment today.”

Jose Baez, who defended Mr. Hernandez in the double murder case, told Reuters: “There were no conversations or correspondence from Aaron to his family or legal team that would have indicated anything like this was possible. Aaron was looking forward to an opportunity for a second chance to prove his innocence.”

Mr. Hernandez’s former agent, Brian Murphy, cast doubt on the manner of death. “Absolutely no chance he took his own life,” Mr. Murphy posted on Twitter. “Chico was not a saint, but my family and I loved him and he would never take his own life.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/sports/aaron-hernandez-dead.html?_r=0

Post 04/19/17 03:01pm
 View users profile Send private message

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

happy3.gif
Post 04/19/17 06:45pm

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

blush.gif
Post 04/19/17 06:46pm

Dmonix
Demon Cleaner

quote:
Originally posted by AWM
blush.gif

laugh.gif Awesome, I'll take 3!

Post 04/19/17 07:13pm
 View users profile Send private message ICQ Number

Wolfbitch
Warnings: 27,491

I know he was a convicted murderer, and probably had some degree of culpability in the two he was just found Not Guilty Of. I know he's no choir boy, no angel, no white hat, no good guy, and a lot of people up here in New England knew this and looked away. (I'm lookin' at YOU, Belichick.)

Still, I never find suicide to be a happy ending. To be driven to that extreme is, or should be, unthinkable.

I know what that feels like. I felt it and thought about it 3 times last year, but was able to yank it out of my head. (And reported it to my shrink the next day for a crisis appointment.) According to the shrink, I was only performing "suicidal ideation." People who are truly serious about it go on to develop a plan, and then form an intent (at which point it's very difficult to stop them).

The act comes last.

(Anybody who's now worried about me can officially relax. I seem to have safely made it past that point.)

Yes, you who must leave everything that you cannot control
It begins with your family, but soon it comes around to your soul
Well, I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned
When you're not feeling holy, your loneliness says that you've sinned
Post 04/19/17 07:24pm
 View users profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Dmonix
Demon Cleaner

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfbitch
I know he was a convicted murderer, and probably had some degree of culpability in the two he was just found Not Guilty Of. I know he's no choir boy, no angel, no white hat, no good guy, and a lot of people up here in New England knew this and looked away. (I'm lookin' at YOU, Belichick.)

Still, I never find suicide to be a happy ending. To be driven to that extreme is, or should be, unthinkable.

I know what that feels like. I felt it and thought about it 3 times last year, but was able to yank it out of my head. (And reported it to my shrink the next day for a crisis appointment.) According to the shrink, I was only performing "suicidal ideation." People who are truly serious about it go on to develop a plan, and then form an intent (at which point it's very difficult to stop them).

The act comes last.

(Anybody who's now worried about me can officially relax. I seem to have safely made it past that point.)

Indeed. I've always said this, suicide is a commitment, total, no way back, commitment.

My best friends wife, hung herself in their bedroom. I can't imagine, the thoughts in her head. Her love for my friend, her love for his children, her own family, her friends....

In the years that I've had arthritis, that took my job, my savings, I thought about it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't. The only time i don't feel pain is in my sleep. So, to lay down and sleep forever, the end of pain.

But I've never liked the idea of not being alive. My body will expire when it's time. At the time, the times I thought of suicide, I had Alita and Piggey, I had family and friends, I had a roof over my head, I had excellent medical and social support and most of all, I met many many people in years of physiotherapy who were in much worse condition than I, they had lost much more than I.

Scumbags who kill, then kill themselves, they do the world of good happy3.gif

Post 04/19/17 08:00pm

Wolfbitch

I'm sorry you've been to That Place (as I call it), Dmonix. It sucks. But I have a cat to take care of, I have family, I have wonderful people I work with that I wouldn't want to let down.... yeah, I'd rather be alive. It's always better than the alternative.

Post 04/19/17 09:05pm
 View users profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Morticia
Off my meds and unsupervised

I am sorry you have both had those thoughts. *HUGS* to you both.

I find it hard to have any sympathy for Hernandez. He brought his problems onto himself.

Post 04/20/17 06:56pm

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

Permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Unless of course you have a terminal illness, as my father in-law did. He was right to take himself out

Post 04/20/17 07:23pm

Wolfbitch

quote:
Originally posted by AWM
Permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Unless of course you have a terminal illness, as my father in-law did. He was right to take himself out

I agree about the terminal illness thing--people were running around feeling sorry for Robin Williams because "he must have been so sad." On the contrary, he was very courageous--he had Lewy Body Dementia, which is like having Alzheimers and Parkinsons at the same time, with a side of vivid hallucinations. And it hits at a very early age.

He left before anyone in his family had to watch him deteriorate.

That's an altogether different situation than someone who's murdered people and will spend a significant portion of the rest of his life in jail. Should've thought of that before you murdered people.

Still, even in that case, my sympathy is provoked. Because I know what it's like to feel like you're out of options.

Post 04/20/17 09:02pm

Dmonix
Demon Cleaner

Guess he had '3:16' on his forehead...Must've been a Stone Cold Steve Austin fan...

wideeyed.gif

Post 04/21/17 04:55am

Dmonix
Demon Cleaner

quote:
It's always better than the alternative.

Is it though? Maybe it's baby goat heaven!!! surprised.gif

Post 04/21/17 05:02am

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

I get weary of all these crack-pot conspiracy theorists. Every fucking news story ends up with people thinking there's an angle. This one was ridiculous - that somehow this NFL player was overpowered, and HANGED.

Beaten to death would be one thing, but if you've ever had to try to control another human being - mush less a big ass football player..................you'd know he wasn't "hanged" against his will.

Post 04/21/17 07:05am

Wolfbitch

The conspiracy theories are an insult to his family. As you said, AWM, trying to control a big-ass football player is next to impossible. And one with a ferocious temper to boot. Be kind of like controlling an overgrown three-year-old.

No, I accept that he hanged himself. And I still have sympathy for him for that, but I have no sympathy for his jail sentence because he deserved that.

Weird thing is that here in MA, if your case is on appeal (and his original case was) and you die before that appeal process is completed, you die an innocent man because you never got a chance to defend yourself on appeal. This is one of those things that amuses me about the whole Heaven/Hell BS: So "God" knows this guy is guilty and has a spot for him reserved with "Satan," and "Satan" is cool with it because he needs more football players, only BAM!!! The Commonwealth of MA now considers him innocent because he didn't get to defend himself in appeals court.

God's all WTF!!!! about it. But there's the Suicide Loophole, so Satan wins in the end.

That's way over the top about theology to me.

Post 04/21/17 02:07pm

Riotgear
Abogado del Diablo

If I ever end up owning a yacht, I'm going to seriously consider naming it "Suicide Loophole"
Post 04/21/17 02:48pm

AWM
No Salvation
No Salvation

quote:
The conspiracy theories are an insult to his family. As you said, AWM, trying to control a big-ass football player is next to impossible. And one with a ferocious temper to boot. Be kind of like controlling an overgrown three-year-old.

No, I accept that he hanged himself. And I still have sympathy for him for that, but I have no sympathy for his jail sentence because he deserved that.

Weird thing is that here in MA, if your case is on appeal (and his original case was) and you die before that appeal process is completed, you die an innocent man because you never got a chance to defend yourself on appeal. This is one of those things that amuses me about the whole Heaven/Hell BS: So "God" knows this guy is guilty and has a spot for him reserved with "Satan," and "Satan" is cool with it because he needs more football players, only BAM!!! The Commonwealth of MA now considers him innocent because he didn't get to defend himself in appeals court.

God's all WTF!!!! about it. But there's the Suicide Loophole, so Satan wins in the end.

That's way over the top about theology to me.

That has serious ramifications, to wit:

His pension now must be paid to his widow
His estate is now protected from lawsuits from his victims, as he's "not guilty" (They may try to prevail in civil court but not likely)

Fucking stupid law

Post 04/22/17 06:51am

Life of Debauchery .com > Filthy Fucken Animals Post new topic Reply to topic